Himachal, Assam women enter national hockey final
Bhopal: Himachal Pradesh surpassed Delhi and Assam edged past Tamil Nadu in the semi-finals to enter the summit clash of the National Women`s Hockey Championship (Division B) at the Aish Bagh Hockey Stadium here Tuesday.
Assam defeated Tamil Nadu 3-1. Tamil Nadu opened its account (fourth minute) through Karuppayee but Assam’s Seema Bharti’s (sixth) levelled the scores. A penalty corner conversion by Shikha Singh (15th) and a field goal by Pooja Choudhary (31st) helped Assam take a 3-1 lead at halftime. With no goal being scored in the second half, Assam entered the final.
In the second semi-final Himachal Pradesh edged past Delhi 3-0 via penalty shoot-out. Delhi dominated the first half, bagging a 2-1 lead. Delhi opened (14th) when Pooja made no mistake in converting a penalty corner. Himachal Pradesh equalised (32nd) through a penalty corner converted by Pooja Devi. Three minutes later Delhi scored their second through Pooja.
The second half saw Himachal Pradesh putting pressure on the opponents and in the 44th minute, Rachana Jamalta successfully converted a penalty corner. The two teams ended 2-2 after regulation time.
For Himachal Pradesh, Sonia Rani, Sonia and Rachana Jamalta scored in the shoot-outs and their goalkeeper Kanika Devi’s potent interception restricted Delhi from scoring any.
Semi-final results: Assam 3 beat Tamil Nadu 1; Himachal Pradesh 2 tied Delhi 2 -- Shoot-out: Himachal Pradesh 3 beat Delhi 0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state