Hockey fraternity observes 2-minute silence as mark of respect
New Delhi: The hockey fraternity friday joined the world in mourning the death of Nelson Mandela by observing two-minute silence before the final two matches in the opening day of the Hero FIH Junior Men`s World Cup at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, here on friday.
As a mark of respect to the departed soul of the former South African president, two-minute silence was observed before the start of South Africa-England and India-Netherlands matches.
Just before the mandatory national anthem ceremony the entire stadium stood up along with the teams, International Hockey Federation (FIH) and Hockey India officials to observe two-minute silence remembering the legendary anti-apartheid leader and Bharat Ratna awardee, Mandela, who passed away in Johannesburg today at the age of 95.
Mandela, who led South Africa`s transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s and served 27 years in prison for his political activities, had been receiving intensive medical care at home for a lung infection after spending three months in hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened