Hockey India appoints Staniforth as goalkeeping coach
New Delhi: Hockey India (HI) Thursday appointed Dave Staniforth as strategic analyst and goalkeeping coach of the senior and junior men`s hockey teams.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra said he believed in focussed and concentrated training for goalkeepers and the appointment of a dedicated goalkeeping coach is a step in that direction.
"I am sure all the goalkeepers in the core probables will benefit immensely from his appointment. Hockey as a sport is about precise strategy and execution, so I believe that Dave’s appointment will be significant ahead of the major events including FIH Hockey Junior Men World Cup 2013 and FIH Hockey Senior Men World Cup 2014,” he said.
Staniforth said: “I am very happy with my new role with the Indian men teams and really look forward to preparing the goalkeepers for the busy hockey schedule ahead. Having spent a lot of time following the Indian team during the last two years, I have a good understanding of the goalkeepers strengths and weaknesses.
The 37-year-old Staniforth has worked as goalkeeping coach with the South African national side for three years. He has also worked with Riverside Hockey Club and Dave Staniforth Academy as goalkeeping coach. He also holds an FIH Certificate in International Goalkeeper Coaching and has done two other Coaching Courses - Irish Hockey Association Level 1 and English Hockey Association Level 2.
As a player, Dave Staniforth has 65 international caps and has represented South Africa in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, 10th FIH Hockey World Cup in Kuala Lumpur 2002, three times FIH Champions Challenge in Kuala Lumpur 2001, Johannesburg 2003 and Alexandria 2005 and 8th All Africa Games in Nigeria 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly