Hockey India names Sukhvir Singh Grewal as High Performance Manager of North Zone
New Delhi: Taking forward its plan of developing the game at grassroots level in the country, Hockey India Thursday appointed former coach Sukhvir Singh Grewal as the High Performance Manager of North zone.
The move will further ensure HI`s commitment towards identifying, developing and giving young players an international platform to showcase their skills in the game of hockey.
Grewal will take charge on August 1. The North Zone comprises Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Chandigarh, Rajasthan and Delhi, a statement from HI said.
Grewal is the second zonal High Performance Manager appointed by HI after V Baskaran who is in charge of the south zone.
HI also aims to put in place similar initiative in Central, East and West zone soon. The Manager High Performance of each zone will work under Director High Performance Mr. Roelant Oltmans.
The initiative will also help HI`s state member units and academies to get in place a more robust system towards player development in individual regions.
Having coached the Indian men`s team for five years since 1987 to 1992, Grewal understands the nuances of identifying, understanding and then developing a player in the right manner.
According to the HI statement, Grewal will also monitor and evaluate the performance of coaches in Hockey India`s member units and academies and identify the talent for elite coaching opportunities.
In consultation with Director High Performance Roelant Oltmans, Grewal will create, maintain and develop technical content for dissemination, the release further stated.
Speaking on the new appointment, HI secretary general, Narinder Batra said, "Hockey India today welcomes Sukhvir Singh Grewal and I would like to tell him that we are very happy that he accepted our proposal to be the Manager High Performance in the all important North Zone.
"In the past we have seen that this zone has brought to the forefront many world class players who have made us proud. Hence this zone becomes very important for us because we are sure that there is abundance of talent in this zone which needs to be skillfully developed."
Grewal added: "I thank Hockey India for starting the initiative of High Performance Development Programme at grassroots level in the country. Hockey has totally changed in the past few years, by starting this initiative at grassroots level, we can expect better results from Indian hockey in the coming years at international levels. It will help us to create a greater pool of players."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown