Hockey India now plans a league for women
New Delhi: After the stupendous success of its inaugural city-based league, Hockey India (HI) is now mulling to start a similar tournament for the women players as well.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra said Friday that the national body was planning a women`s league in two years.
"We are thinking of starting a league for the women players in two years. It will be very unfair if we don`t try to promote women`s hockey. I think it will be as exciting as the men`s tournament," said Batra.
Batra said HI was planning to have a six-a-side tournament, which is highly popular in Europe.
"I think six-a-side tournament will be the best way. It requires lot of fitness and it is tough as well," he said.
HI is planning to have the league in Bangalore and will urge the franchise owners of Hockey India League (HIL) to raise women`s teams.
"We will talk to them and see if they are interested in running a women`s league parallelly with the men`s tournament," he said.
National team captain Ritu Rani said having a franchise-based league for the women will only promote the game.
"The HIL has boosted the men`s game in the country. It will be great to have such a league in women`s hockey too that would motivate us," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred