Hockey Junior World Cup: India beat Argentina, to play Pakistan for 9th place
New Delhi: India beat Argentina 4-2 here on Thursday and set up a clash with arch-rivals Pakistan for ninth place in the Hockey Junior World Cup.
"Today we played a good match. Ramandeep played well and has come back to form. In the league matches, we conceded early goals, which affected the overall performance of the team. We are looking forward to our match against Pakistan. We will aim to finish in ninth position. I am sure the crowd will enjoy the match," said India coach Baljeet Singh.
India got on to the score sheet first -- Ramandeep Singh entering the circle on the right and blasting a shot from a difficult angle past Tomas Rearte in the Argentine goal.
Argentina suffered another setback soon enough as Amit Rohidas doubled India`s lead with a neatly struck penalty-corner.
After going down to the two early goals, Argentina was able to confine the play to the midfield until the 31st minute when Ramandeep cut through the Argentine defence, once again beating Rearte from an impossible angle.
Argentina pulled a goal back early after the break thanks to Lucas Martinez, but Gurjinder Singh re-established India`s three-goal lead with a low flick penalty-corner.
India refused to relent and created plenty of chances, even hitting the crossbar, but it was Argentina who scored next when Lautaro Diaz recovered wellx from a bobbled penalty-corner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda