Hockey Junior World Cup: India beat Argentina, to play Pakistan for 9th place
New Delhi: India beat Argentina 4-2 here on Thursday and set up a clash with arch-rivals Pakistan for ninth place in the Hockey Junior World Cup.
"Today we played a good match. Ramandeep played well and has come back to form. In the league matches, we conceded early goals, which affected the overall performance of the team. We are looking forward to our match against Pakistan. We will aim to finish in ninth position. I am sure the crowd will enjoy the match," said India coach Baljeet Singh.
India got on to the score sheet first -- Ramandeep Singh entering the circle on the right and blasting a shot from a difficult angle past Tomas Rearte in the Argentine goal.
Argentina suffered another setback soon enough as Amit Rohidas doubled India`s lead with a neatly struck penalty-corner.
After going down to the two early goals, Argentina was able to confine the play to the midfield until the 31st minute when Ramandeep cut through the Argentine defence, once again beating Rearte from an impossible angle.
Argentina pulled a goal back early after the break thanks to Lucas Martinez, but Gurjinder Singh re-established India`s three-goal lead with a low flick penalty-corner.
India refused to relent and created plenty of chances, even hitting the crossbar, but it was Argentina who scored next when Lautaro Diaz recovered wellx from a bobbled penalty-corner.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani