Hockey legend Dilip Tirkey elected to Rajya Sabja
Bhubaneswar: Hockey legend and former Indian captain, Dilip Tirkey was among the three persons who were today declared elected unopposed to Rajya Sabja from Orissa.
Besides Tirkey, BJD leader Rabi Narayan Mohapatra of Nayagarh and AV Swamy from Nuapada, supported by the ruling BJD, were also declared elected to the upper house of Parliament to fill three vacant seats from Orissa.
The results were declared by returning officer and assembly secretary Amiya Kumar Sarangi after the time schedule for withdrawal of nomination was over.
As there was no other contestant in the fray for the biennial election, it would not be necessary to hold election earlier scheduled for March 30 for the three vacant seats from the state, he said.
Though four others had filed their nomination for the Rajya sabha polls, these were rejected during scrutiny as the papers were without any proposer.
The three Rajya Sabja seats had fallen vacant following completion of tenure of Kishore Mohanty, Rudra Narayan Pani and Sushila Tiriya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'