Hockey legend Leslie Claudius passes away at the age of 85
Kolkata: Legendary hockey player and one of India`s greatest Olympians Leslie Claudius, passed away here this afternoon, after a prolonged illness, his son Brandon informed.
Claudius was suffering from cirrhosis of the liver and frequently needed hospitalization in the past couple of years.
He was 85-years-old and is survived by wife and son.
Claudius had three Olympic gold medals - London 1948, Helsinki 1952 and Melbourne 1956. At Rome in 1960, he led India to a silver-medal finish.
Claudius was being treated at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a local hospital for abnormal fluid retention.
"In fact his condition had got better yesterday and doctors were hopeful of discharging him. But today morning, it deteriorated," Brandon told PTI.
In past last 11 months, Claudius had been hospitalised four times due to ill-health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'