Hockey legend Leslie Claudius passes away at the age of 85
Kolkata: Legendary hockey player and one of India`s greatest Olympians Leslie Claudius, passed away here this afternoon, after a prolonged illness, his son Brandon informed.
Claudius was suffering from cirrhosis of the liver and frequently needed hospitalization in the past couple of years.
He was 85-years-old and is survived by wife and son.
Claudius had three Olympic gold medals - London 1948, Helsinki 1952 and Melbourne 1956. At Rome in 1960, he led India to a silver-medal finish.
Claudius was being treated at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a local hospital for abnormal fluid retention.
"In fact his condition had got better yesterday and doctors were hopeful of discharging him. But today morning, it deteriorated," Brandon told PTI.
In past last 11 months, Claudius had been hospitalised four times due to ill-health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!