Holders New Zealand register first win in Azlan Shah Cup
Ipoh (Malaysia): Defending champions New Zealand defeated Korea 3-0 to register its first win in the Sultan Azlan Shah hockey tournament here today.
By virtue of today`s win after suffering consecutive defeats in the opening two encounters, the Black Sticks have managed to keep alive their title defence hopes in the invitational tournament.
New Zealand took control of the proceedings early in the match and forged ahead in the fifth minute through Hugo Inglis` field goal.
As the Koreans were trying to recover from the early strike, New Zealand doubled their lead in the 11th minute when Cory Bennett scored from their first penalty corner with a fierce dragflick which the Korean goalkeeper Kim Jae Hyeon had no answer.
The Koreans had the first feel of the opposition goal in the later stages of the opening half but Kim Seong Kyu, comfortably placed inside the `D`, wasted the opportunity as New Zealand went into the breather with a 2-0 lead.
The Black Sticks started the second half on the same pace and mounted numerous raids into the Korean citadel from the very beginning.
Their efforts bore soon fruit when Andy Hayward converted a penalty corner in the 41st minute to make the scoreline 3-0 in favour of New Zealand.
Korea, thereafter, tried hard to forge a comeback but it was not to be as New Zealand put up a strong defence to deny any scoring chance to their opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title