Holders New Zealand register first win in Azlan Shah Cup
Ipoh (Malaysia): Defending champions New Zealand defeated Korea 3-0 to register its first win in the Sultan Azlan Shah hockey tournament here today.
By virtue of today`s win after suffering consecutive defeats in the opening two encounters, the Black Sticks have managed to keep alive their title defence hopes in the invitational tournament.
New Zealand took control of the proceedings early in the match and forged ahead in the fifth minute through Hugo Inglis` field goal.
As the Koreans were trying to recover from the early strike, New Zealand doubled their lead in the 11th minute when Cory Bennett scored from their first penalty corner with a fierce dragflick which the Korean goalkeeper Kim Jae Hyeon had no answer.
The Koreans had the first feel of the opposition goal in the later stages of the opening half but Kim Seong Kyu, comfortably placed inside the `D`, wasted the opportunity as New Zealand went into the breather with a 2-0 lead.
The Black Sticks started the second half on the same pace and mounted numerous raids into the Korean citadel from the very beginning.
Their efforts bore soon fruit when Andy Hayward converted a penalty corner in the 41st minute to make the scoreline 3-0 in favour of New Zealand.
Korea, thereafter, tried hard to forge a comeback but it was not to be as New Zealand put up a strong defence to deny any scoring chance to their opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing