Holders Punjab in Senior Hockey Nationals semis
Pune: Defending champions Punjab thrashed Jharkhand 6-0 to advance to the semifinals of the 3rd Hockey India Senior Men National Championship here on Saturday.
Haryana, Karnataka and Air India also entered the last four stage with wins in their quarterfinal matches.
In the semifinals to be played tomorrow, last year`s runners-up Air India take on Haryana while Punjab clash with Karnataka.
Punjab dominated the proceedings in their quarterfinal match played at Shiv Chhatrapati Shivaji Sports Complex and scored at regular intervals.
Deepak Thakur scored two goals while Sarvanjit Singh, Gurjinder Singh, Ravi Pal Singh and Inderjeet Singh found the target once.
Air India, on the other hand, scored a hard-fought 5-4 win over Railways at Major Dhyan Chand Polygrass Hockey Stadium at Pimpri.
Haryana defeated Chandigarh 4-1 after conceding an early goal. Chandigarh, who led 1-0 at half time, lost their rhythm in the second half which allowed their opponents to score four goals.
Mandeep Antil, Shivdeep, Jagwant and Hansraj scored a goal each for Haryana. Chandigarh were unable to build on the early break as they committed far too many errors in their defence to allow Haryana to gain the upper hand.
In the last quarter-final match of the day, Karnataka scored twice in each half to overcome Manipur 4-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok