Holding on to the ranking a bigger challenge: Joydeep
Kolkata: His giant leap to World No 4 might be a pleasant surprise for shooter Joydeep Karmakar but to hold on to the ranking would be a "bigger challenge".
"It may be just a number. But I really have to work hard from now on to hold on to the rankings," Karmakar, who finished a creditable fourth in 50m prone at the London Olympics, said.
"The more the ranking numbers go down, the tougher it becomes. I`ve to stay grounded and focused," Karmakar, who is enjoying a break after his London stint, added.
As the period from now on to Rio 2016 is pretty long, the real challenge for Karmakar would be to maintain the momentum.
"Doing well in Rio is a target. But for that you`ve to remain in the top bracket," he said, pointing out the World Championship in 2014 that will give the shooters a first chance to secure quota places.
Reacting to reports that he might switch to some other state for better monetary support, the Bengal marksman said, "There was an offer. But I`ll never move out of here."
Olympians Karmakar and Rahul Banerjee were today felicitated by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview