Holding on to the ranking a bigger challenge: Joydeep
Kolkata: His giant leap to World No 4 might be a pleasant surprise for shooter Joydeep Karmakar but to hold on to the ranking would be a "bigger challenge".
"It may be just a number. But I really have to work hard from now on to hold on to the rankings," Karmakar, who finished a creditable fourth in 50m prone at the London Olympics, said.
"The more the ranking numbers go down, the tougher it becomes. I`ve to stay grounded and focused," Karmakar, who is enjoying a break after his London stint, added.
As the period from now on to Rio 2016 is pretty long, the real challenge for Karmakar would be to maintain the momentum.
"Doing well in Rio is a target. But for that you`ve to remain in the top bracket," he said, pointing out the World Championship in 2014 that will give the shooters a first chance to secure quota places.
Reacting to reports that he might switch to some other state for better monetary support, the Bengal marksman said, "There was an offer. But I`ll never move out of here."
Olympians Karmakar and Rahul Banerjee were today felicitated by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?