Holland outplay India 6-3 in Hamburg Masters opener
New Delhi: India started their campaign at the BDO Hamburg Masters hockey tournament on a disappointing note, losing 3-6 to world number three Holland at the Ulhenhoster hockey Club at Hamburg, Germany.
Bob de Voogd (ninth), Robbert Kemperman (17th), Jeroen Hertzburger (22nd), Klaas Vermeulen (34th), Mink ven der Weerden (46th) and Constantijn Jonker (60th Min) were the goal-scorers forn the Dutch side, while the Indian marksmen were Dhananjay Mahadik (18th), Sandeep Singh (43rd) and Ravi Pal (52nd).
India will next play world number two and Olympic Champions Germany, who beat beat Japan 5?3 in another match on Friday.
Against Holland, India started the encounter in a lethargic fashion, which resulted in numerous unforced errors in the deep defence.
Except for Sardar Singh, who played his heart out, Indian defenders wore a sorry look as the Dutch caught them on the wrong footing with frequent position interchange and quick passes.
The continuous pressure by the Dutch forwardline yielded result in the ninth minute when de Voogd scored in the ninth minute from a Verga cross.
Eight minutes later, Kemperman encashed on a pass from a turnover in the Indian midfield to make it 2-0.
India, however, reduced the margin in the next minute from their first short corner when captain Mahadik slotted the home to the Dutch goalkeeper`s left with a carpet flick.
But Holland fired back in the 22nd and 34th minutes with goals from Hertzburger and Vermeulen to go into the breather with an impressive 4-1 lead.
Eight minutes into the second half, India pulled another back when drag-flciker Sandeep Singh scored from their second penalty corner.
But India`s comeback hopes dashed when Mink ven der Weerden made it 5-2 in the 46th minute from Holland`s third penalty corner.
Shortly after the goal, Tushar Khandker missed the target with a reverse flick off a Ravi Pal pass.
Ravi Pal then scored in the 52nd minute to make it 5-3 and give India glimmer of a hope.
But it was not to be India`s day as Holland completed their tally when Jonker scored after he was set up by Vermeulen in the 60th minute to pocket full three points from the high-scoring encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow