Home Ministry recommends Major Dhyan Chand for Bharat Ratna: Kiren Rijiju
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju, on Tuesday informed Lok Sabha that the Union Home Ministry has sent Bharat Ratna recommendation for late Major Dhyan Chand to the PMO, after receiving recommendations from several quarters.
As a practice, recommendations for Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister to the President of India. Although no formal recommendation for Bharat Ratna are necessary.
Last year, hockey wizard Dhyan Chand – despite being one of the overwhelming favourites to win the Bharat Ratna, was overlooked to accommodate Sachin Tendulkar. There were widespread reports of possible snubbing of the legendary hockey player`s case.
The Olympian`s recommendation from the sports ministry had accepted by July 2013 and the deck to confer the highest civilian award to the former Olympian had cleared by August. However, by November – with Tendulkar`s retirement, Dhyand Chand`s case had been put on the backburner as the then Prime Minister himself recommended the Little Master`s name for the award.
Sachin Tendulkar and eminent scientist CNR Rao were conferred with the Bharat Ratna by President Pranab Mukherjee on February 4, 2014. After a career spanning 24 years of glorious international cricket, Sachin retired on November 16, 2013.
Considered as the greatest ever hockey player, Dhyan Chand helped India win three Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936 Olympics.
Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the country. It is awarded in
recognition of exceptional service/performance of the highest order in any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened