Home Ministry recommends Major Dhyan Chand for Bharat Ratna: Kiren Rijiju
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju, on Tuesday informed Lok Sabha that the Union Home Ministry has sent Bharat Ratna recommendation for late Major Dhyan Chand to the PMO, after receiving recommendations from several quarters.
As a practice, recommendations for Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister to the President of India. Although no formal recommendation for Bharat Ratna are necessary.
Last year, hockey wizard Dhyan Chand – despite being one of the overwhelming favourites to win the Bharat Ratna, was overlooked to accommodate Sachin Tendulkar. There were widespread reports of possible snubbing of the legendary hockey player`s case.
The Olympian`s recommendation from the sports ministry had accepted by July 2013 and the deck to confer the highest civilian award to the former Olympian had cleared by August. However, by November – with Tendulkar`s retirement, Dhyand Chand`s case had been put on the backburner as the then Prime Minister himself recommended the Little Master`s name for the award.
Sachin Tendulkar and eminent scientist CNR Rao were conferred with the Bharat Ratna by President Pranab Mukherjee on February 4, 2014. After a career spanning 24 years of glorious international cricket, Sachin retired on November 16, 2013.
Considered as the greatest ever hockey player, Dhyan Chand helped India win three Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936 Olympics.
Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the country. It is awarded in
recognition of exceptional service/performance of the highest order in any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room