Hooda takes a jibe at Vijender Singh at felicitation function
Chandigarh: It was a felicitation function meant to honour him but Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda created quite a flutter by taking a jibe at star boxer Vijender Singh`s "under-performance" at last month`s Olympics in London.
At a function organised by Haryana police to honour its seven sportspersons for their performance at the London Games here, Hooda took a potshot at Vijender who was sitting among the players who were honoured.
"No doubt Vijender is an excellent boxer...But you (Vijender) stop taking tours (other than boxing) to perform much better," Hooda said pointing to the strapping six-footer during his speech.
Hooda was apparently referring to Vijender`s stint in television shows and modelling assignments.
"Tu tour laganey band kar de (you stop taking tours)," Hooda said.
Vijender, the 2008 Beijing Olympics bronze-medallist, who lost in the quarterfinals in the London edition, made light of the comment saying, "He should tell me which tours he is talking about."
"It was just friendly banter," the former world number one middleweight boxer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai