Hooper denies issuing advisory on dengue
New Delhi: Commonwealth Games Federation CEO Mike Hooper denied issuing any advisory to participating CWG countries about a possible outbreak of dengue here and said he merely sent a report on the basis of what CGF Chief Michael Fennell observed during his visit last month.
"We have not issued any kind of advisory to Commonwealth countries regarding dengue disease in the capital. I have also not written to the Organising Committee. It was just a report which has been sent to participating nations on the basis of Mr Fennell`s recent visits to the stadiums," Hooper told reporters.
Hooper, however, said Fennell had brought to the notice of the Indian authorities that "dengue was an issue which needs attention".
"He (Fennell) saw rainwater pooling in open construction sites which results in an ideal breeding site for mosquitoes. He advised the concerned people that dengue is an issue which needs regular attention," Hooper said.
"In the city of 16-17 million people, it`s a seasonal disease which happens in the monsoon time. It`s a seasonal disease but at the same time we need to take precautions to minimise any exposure," he said.
The CGF Chief Executive lashed out at the media for playing up the dengue disease issue at the national capital.
"Some section of the media has this habit of cooking up a story to raise their TRPs. They make the stuff on their own. Reality is Mr Fennell visited all the venues on August 18-19," he said.
Hooper said that Organising Committee Chief Medical Officer Bhartinder Singh was in constant touch with him on the issue and they were doing everything possible to mitigate the possible effects of the disease.
"You need regular fogging, clean surroundings near competition and non-competition venues. You need to avoid water-logging. We all are focussed towards the Games and all the issues concern us. We are clear in our approach," he said.
More than 1000 cases of dengue have been reported in the national capital so far this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy