Hooper snubs CAG report, defends Organising Committee
New Delhi: Mike Hooper, CEO, Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), today defended the Commonwealth organizing Committee (OC) over its broadcasting rights deal with london-based company Fast Track, saying that OC did go through the bidding process.
Talking to the reporters in Delhi, Hooper, though, clarified that it the OC which decided on the deal, not the Commonwealth Games Federation.
“OC decided on the deal”, Hooper said. He, though, admitted that CWF first recommended the name of Fast Track for its proven track record. Apart from recommending the name, they had no role to play.
“CWF only recommended the name of Fast Track to the OC because the company has good track record”, he said.
Snubbing the CAG report, Hooper said that CAG has come to a wrong conclusion.
The CAG report, it is learnt, has also alleged that high profile officials such CWG chief Mike Fennel and CEO Mike Hoper were involved in various discrepancies.
"I have not seen the CAG report myself. I have seen only media reports. I will ask OC to get us a copy of the CAG report. Will comment only after seeing it," Hooper said.
Earlier, OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot said it was a well thought out decision to award the deal to Fast Track as they did not want to give too many contracts to SMAM, which already had bagged the sponsorship contract.
"Fast Track is a well known company in this field and we have to ensure that company which has the experience is given the job. They had done it in Melbourne and other Commonwealth Games. It was a very wise (decision) that we did not put all the eggs in one basket," Bhanot said.
"Fast Track has almost doubled the revenue we targetted. I think it`s fully justified and a proper procedure was followed and it was a decision taken by the Board that not to give both the contract to one firm despite the fact that they were charging less.”
"But now the end result is that we have achieved double the target... we have earned more," he said.
The OC had recently scrapped its sponsorship deal with SMSM on grounds of `non-performance`, a claim that has been refuted by the Australian firm, which said the charges against it are "imaginary".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon