HP and Assam enter final of the 4th Hockey India Senior Women
Bhopal: Assam defetad Tamil Nadu (TN) 3-1, while Himachal Pradesh (HP) edged past Delhi 3-0 on penalty shoot-out to set up a clash against each other in the final of the fourth Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2014 (Division B) at Aish Bagh Hockey Stadium, on tuesday.
Assam came from a goal down to get the better of TN in the first semifinal and seal their place in the summit clash.
Irrespective of the final result, it was TN who opened the scoring in the fourth minute through a field goal by Karuppayee.
But Assam came back strongly and scored through Seema Bharti (6th), a penalty corner conversion by Shikha Singh (15th) and a field strike by Pooja Choudhary (31st) to take a 3-2 lead at halftime, which they managed to hold on till the final hooter.
In the second semifinal, HP beat Delhi 3-0 via penalty shoot-out after the regulation 70 minutes ended with both teams tied at 2-2.
It was Delhi who broke the deadlock in the 14th minute when Pooja made no mistake in converting the penalty corner.
But HP leveled the scores in the 32nd minute from a penalty corner which was converted by Pooja Devi.
Three minutes later, Delhi restored its lead through Pooja (35th), who scored her second goal of the day.
After the change of ends, HP once again drew level when Rachana Jamalta successfully converted a penalty corner in the 44th minute.
Thereafter, both the teams tried hard in search of the winner but it eluded them as the match went into penalty shoot-out.
In the shoor-out, Sonia Rani, Sonia and Rachana Jamalta scored for HP, while Delhi players failed to get past a resolute Kanika Devi in HP goal for once.
Semifinal 1: Assam 3 Seema Bharti (6th), Shikha Singh (15th) and Pooja Choudhary (31st) vs Tamil Nadu 1 Karuppayee (4th).
Semifinal 2: Himachal Pradesh 2 Pooja Devi (32nd), Rachana Jamalta (44th) vs Delhi 2 Pooja (14th, 35th).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results