Hushovd`s Tour lead under threat in eighth stage
Aigurande (France): Thor Hushovd`s yellow jersey is in jeopardy in Saturday`s 189-km eighth stage of the Tour de France to Super-Besse when the peloton encounter the first mountains in this edition.
The finale in the Massif Central ski resort is by no means the most gruelling ascent this year but it will be merciless to poor climbers, especially as it comes shortly after a category two hill; the Croix St Robert.
"Obviously, it is too hard for me to keep the yellow jersey and we are not going to defend it. It`s up to the other teams to control the race. I`m just going to enjoy my sixth day in yellow," said Hushovd, who has held the Tour lead since the second stage in Les Essarts.
The main threat to the Norwegian is Australia`s Cadel Evans, second overall and just one second behind.
Evans has showed splendid form in the past week, winning the fourth stage at Mur de Bretagne.
The 2009 world champion has said he has no intention of seizing the yellow jersey this early in the race, but he will be forced to if he means to take more time off his leading rivals in his dress rehearsal before the Pyrenees a week later.
"Super-Besse is a climb that suits him well as does the next stage in St Flour. And obviously, if we`re in a position to take the jersey we`re not going to stop before the line not to get it," said Evans`s BMC team director John Lelangue.
In the first significant climb of the Tour in Mur de Bretagne, Evans and three-times Tour champion Alberto Contador emerged as possibly the fittest men at this stage and the Spaniard will also be closely watched.
The same applies to the other leading contenders like Luxembourg`s Andy Schleck, the Tour runner-up in the last two seasons.
"Super Besse is not very hard so don`t expect major gaps. To me, the 50 strongest riders in this Tour will finish close together," said Schleck`s Saxo Bank team director Kim Andersen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon