I am an entertainer, says world wrestling champ Kurt Angle
Mumbai: Olympic gold medallist and former world heavyweight champion Kurt Angle, who has the record of beating the best of professional wrestlers, said he was "not born to be a wrestler but an entertainer".
The US amateur wrestler, who entered the entertainment arena in 1998 after signing a contract with the World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment), won the world championship title in just 10 months -- the fastest to achieve this feat.
"I started my career in pro-wrestling with WWE and 10 months later I was the world champion. It went very quick. I didn`t know I was born to be a pro-wrestler, I will admit that. I wouldn`t say I was born to be an Olympic medallist even though I hold that high above anything I have ever done. I just feel like I was born to entertain people," Angle told PTI in an interview here.
Though it was much more important for him to win a gold medal for America, he admitted enjoying professional wrestling more.
"It was much more important for me to win a gold medal for my country but I believe I was up here to entertain fans. I enjoy that. That is why I have been a professional wrestler for the last 14 years. I could retire but I won`t because I love it too much," he said.
Angle, who made his WWE debut at the 1999 Survivor Series has won the King of the Ring Tournament, the Intercontinental Title and the European Title.
Throughout his tenure with WWE, Angle was six-time world champion (four-time WWF/E Champion, World Heavyweight Champion and WCW Champion). He also held the US Championship, Intercontinental Championship, European Championship, Hardcore Championship and WWE Tag Team Championship once each.
After suffering several injuries in the bid to become the champion, the 45-year old, who is currently with Total Nonstop Action (TNA), does not want his seven-year old son Kody to become a pro-wrestler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'