I am not retiring, says Mary Kom
New Delhi: Tired of answering constant queries about her retirement plans, Olympic bronze-medallist and five-time world champion boxer M C Mary Kom on friday pleaded to be left alone, saying she does not wish to call it quits.
The 30-year-old, who has taken a brief sabbatical from the game after the birth of her third child, was in the capital today to launch her autobiography `Unbreakable`.
As she unveiled the book, the former Khel Ratna awardee made it clear that she had no plans to hang her gloves just yet.
"I just want to say and request that I am not going to retire," said the affable Manipuri even before was asked about it by the media.
"My humble request is please support me, I will try my best to win a medal for the country," she added.
The autobiography, which details her rise to the top from a modest background, was launched by Sport Minister Jitendra Singh and two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar, whom Mary Kom addressed as `big brother`.
"I wrote this book in short time. It is about my struggle. I want children to be inspired by it," said Mary Kom.
Sushil was effusive in praise of Mary Kom, calling her the toughest of the six Indians who won medals at the London Olympics last year.
"She is the strongest among the six of us. All those who have supported her have actually done the country proud. She is a fantastic person and a truly great athlete. I congratulate her for this book," said the soft-spoken wrestler.
The Sports Minister said Mary Kom was an example of how sports can unite.
"I am Minister of State (Defence) as well and when I travel to places like Ladakh and I talk to people, she is the hero there. It shows that sports is a binding factor," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place