I didn`t know what really his intentions were: Viswanathan Anand
Chennai: Time might be running out and the throne slipping away but defending champion Viswanathan Anand made it clear that he will come back harder in the next game after drawing the eighth tie of the World Chess Championship rather easily, here on Tuesday.
"Of course the match situation explains itself and I guess it`s my job to liven things up but I guess I will try in the next game," Anand said in the post game conference.
Anand gave nothing away to Carlsen who played white and was expected to push harder with his two points lead. When asked if the choice of King pawn opening by Carlsen was a surprise Anand said no.
"In general in a match you should not be surprised, but I had not prioritized `e4`," the defending champion said. Elaborating on the game, Anand said it was "generally a fairly solid system for white" but not entirely without chances if black played inaccurately.
"The only may be interesting moment was if I go Qg5, h4 is strong but after just Qd8 we liquidate to a drawn ending," he said.
When asked if he could have tried anyways, Anand said he had to be ready for all situations. "Obviously I had to be ready for any scenario that turned up but after d4 and c3 this is what I could do." Anand said he was not sure about a Sicilian defense, considered a combative opening.
"I didn`t know what really his intentions were, and even the Sicilian even if you want to play dry systems, they are available."
Anand said he was happy with his opening preparation.
"I am quite happy with my opening preparation, get kind of a bonus evening before the rest day and so I will try and prepare something for the next one."
Carlsen said he did not mind the result.
"I didn`t particularly mind the draw as was evident from my play, I was just hoping to set up one or two traps. I guess when you play matches its really different, there is still way to go but for now I am fine," he said.
The Norwegian was asked if he had an idol.
"I didn`t have any particular idol in chess when I was young. As a young player I was also trying to play attacking chess. Sacrificing material all the time, bit different from my deeds today. I have been playing at top level for seven years. I have had some time to adjust to situation and develop my play accordingly," he said.
The game was played at a frenzied pace by Carlsen using an average of about 30 seconds for the first 20 moves.
"With the line I chose there was not too much to think about the moves, pretty much suggest themselves. It`s basically more or less all been played before. I wasn`t in any mood to think either so that influenced my decision," Carlsen said.
The ninth game will now be played on Thursday after a day`s rest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt