I just want respect as an ex-volleyball player: Arunima
Ranchi: Former national level volleyball player, Arunima Sinha who recently became the first woman amputee to conquer Mt. Everest, on Friday choose to ignore the Volleyball Federation of India`s indifference towards her, saying she just wanted "respect".
"Ask the Federation... Just want respect as an ex-volleyball player," Arunima said.
The Volleyball Federation of India had reportedly denied compensation to Arunima after she was thrown off a moving train two years ago near Bareilly. It also refused to acknowledge her existence despite her achieving the world record feat.
On whether she would consider making a comeback to the Indian volleyball team, Arunima said, "I have not played since the accident occurred (in April 2011)... Wait and watch."
The young mountaineer credited Bachendri Pal, Chief, Tata Steel Adventure Foundation and the first woman to scale the peak for her feat.
"She has been the guide, motivator and inspiration behind my success ... Even a corpse would rise at her constant nudging," Arunima, who was thrown out of the general compartment of a train by a gang of chain snatchers two years ago, said.
"One of them suddenly laid his hands on my neck while others held my hands and threw me out of the train ... From the tracks to scaling the mountain has been a long struggle .. my message to everyone is, set a goal and don`t quit till you reach it," she said.
The die-hard sportsperson shared how she encouraged herself during her nightmarish days, drawing inspiration from cancer survivor Yuraj Singh.
"If Yuraj Singh can beat cancer (and make a comeback on the cricket pitch), why can`t I, as I have lost a leg and not have any disease," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves