I was only raising my voice against wrong done to me: Poonia
New Delhi: Discuss thrower Krishna Poonia today rubbished allegations that she had lobbied for the prestigious Khel Ratna award, saying she was only raising her voice against the "injustice" meted out to her.
"I want to clarify that I was not doing any lobbying. Wrong has been done to me, and I was only raising my voice against that. That can`t be called lobbying. It`s wrong," Poonia said.
The athlete`s reaction came after ace shooter and Khel Ratna selection panel member Anjali Bhagwat revealed that Poonia had called her to lobby for the top honour just a day before the committee met.
"Firstly, I want to say that if I indeed had to lobby then Sports Minister is from Rajasthan and so am I. If I was to indulge in lobbying, I could have done it before the list was announced.
"I have faith in my performance and I don`t have to indulge in lobbying. In 2003, when K M Beenamol and Anjali Bhagwat won the Khel Ratna, did Bhagwat indulge in lobbying?," she asked.
Poonia also said she was not politicising the award.
"I am not politicising the award. As I had said earlier, if I was to politicise, I could have done it before the list was announced.
World champion shooter Ronjan Sodhi`s name was recommended for the Khel Ratna award last week, sparking a controversy with some members of the panel questioning the process of his selection.
It was learnt that Sodhi`s name was not there when the majority of members decided to vote for the Khel Ratna awardee.
"The voting has been between me and (London Paralympics silver medallist) H N Girisha, and not Sodhi. I got 8-3 votes in favour of me. And after one hour if you do re-vote what does that mean? After you win, the award is taken away from you. Is that lobbying?," a miffed Poonia asked.
A selection panel member had said that Poonia and London Paralympics silver medallist H N Girisha were shortlisted for voting by 11 out of 12 selection panel members and Sodhi`s name was not considered initially.
According to reports, the scenario, however, changed after Bhagwat came in late for the meeting and Girisha`s name was removed. Eventually the voting was for the selection of either Sodhi and Poonia.
After the chorus for considering Poonia`s name for the Khel Ratna grew, Sports Minister Jitendra Singh had meetings with his secretary P K Deb to discuss the matter.
But the Ministry today clearly indicated that there would not be any change in the original list of awardees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured