IAAF ratifies Anju`s top finish in 2005 World Athletics Final
New Delhi: Star Indian long jumper Anju Bobby George has officially become the gold medal winner at the World Athletics Final held at Monte Carlo in 2005 after the International Association of Athletics Federation ratified the result.
The IAAF upgraded Anju to the top place in the IAAF World Athletics Final long jump event after the disqualification of Russia`s Tatyana Kotova, who had finished ahead of the Indian in the meet, but later failed to clear a dope test.
Anju`s 6.75 metres leap had landed her with the silver then, behind the Russian`s 6.83 metres effort.
Confirming this, Athletics Federation of India President Adille Sumariwalla lauded Anju on her historic achievement.
"We are extremely proud that Anju has been awarded the gold medal in the prestigious World Athletics Final. This is a historic occasion for the entire country and the Indian athletics fraternity," said Sumariwalla.
Meanwhile, Anju was overwhelmed on winning the World Athletics Final gold medal and expressed her gratitude to all the fans of Indian athletics, her coach and the AFI for their support.
"It`s a great privilege for Indian athletics and I am humbled with the gold medal. As an Indian athlete, I`m indebted to my fans, coaches and the Athletic Federation of India for all their support," said Anju.
With this achievement, Anju became the first Indian athlete to win a gold medal in World Athletics Final.
The Indian star had previously won a bronze medal in the 2003 World Championship and has a gold in the Asian Games (2002 Busan) and Asian Championship (2005 Incheon) in her name and a bronze in the Commonwealth Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview