IABF ready for re-election to get suspension revoked: Chautala
New Delhi: Rattled by the International Boxing Association`s decision to provisionally suspend the Indian Federation, Chairman Abhay Singh Chautala on Friday said he was willing to step down from his post and the body was ready to hold a re-election to regain AIBA`s affiliation.
The International Boxing Association suspended the IABF alleging "possible manipulation" in its recent elections but the body denied the charge, insisting that the process was "transparent".
However, Chautala said re-election was an option if that is what the AIBA insisted on.
"We are ready for a re-election and I am ready quit the post of chairman. AIBA can send its observer and fix the date also. I have told the IABF President and Secretary General to speak to the AIBA officials and sort out the matter," Chautala told reporters here.
"Whoever has complained against us is against the country. There is no problem in boxing," he insisted.
The development comes within a few days of the International Olympic Committee suspending the Indian Olympic Association.
"Further to the International Olympic Committee`s suspension imposed on the Indian Olympic Association, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) Executive Committee Bureau has decided today December 6 to provisionally suspend the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF)," the AIBA said in a statement.
"This provisional suspension is also due to the fact that AIBA had learned about possible manipulation of the recent IABF`s election.
"AIBA will now investigate this election and especially a potential political link between IOA President, as former Chairman of the IABF, and the IABF election," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Sushma Swaraj calls on Myanmar President
- HEINOUS! Woman set on fire in Delhi for allegedly rejecting marriage proposal
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha
- New research identifies role of mood in making decisions
- Teachers tend to favour middle-class students: Study