IABF ready for re-election to get suspension revoked: Chautala
New Delhi: Rattled by the International Boxing Association`s decision to provisionally suspend the Indian Federation, Chairman Abhay Singh Chautala on Friday said he was willing to step down from his post and the body was ready to hold a re-election to regain AIBA`s affiliation.
The International Boxing Association suspended the IABF alleging "possible manipulation" in its recent elections but the body denied the charge, insisting that the process was "transparent".
However, Chautala said re-election was an option if that is what the AIBA insisted on.
"We are ready for a re-election and I am ready quit the post of chairman. AIBA can send its observer and fix the date also. I have told the IABF President and Secretary General to speak to the AIBA officials and sort out the matter," Chautala told reporters here.
"Whoever has complained against us is against the country. There is no problem in boxing," he insisted.
The development comes within a few days of the International Olympic Committee suspending the Indian Olympic Association.
"Further to the International Olympic Committee`s suspension imposed on the Indian Olympic Association, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) Executive Committee Bureau has decided today December 6 to provisionally suspend the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF)," the AIBA said in a statement.
"This provisional suspension is also due to the fact that AIBA had learned about possible manipulation of the recent IABF`s election.
"AIBA will now investigate this election and especially a potential political link between IOA President, as former Chairman of the IABF, and the IABF election," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM