IBL to be held from Aug 14-31 across six cities
New Delhi: Touted as the richest prize-money badminton tournament in the world, IPL-style Indian Badminton League will be held from August 14-31 across six cities in the country, it was announced on Wednesday.
The IBL finals will be held in Mumbai on August 31 while Hyderabad and Bangalore will get to host a semifinal tie each in the USD one million (approx Rs 5.5 crore) purse league.
New Delhi will host the grand Opening Ceremony of the IBL, featuring international and national stars, on August 13, followed by the first round rubbers on August 14-15.
The six franchise-based city teams featuring in the first edition of the IBL are Hyderabad Hotshots (Hyderabad), Rajdhani Smashers (Delhi), Mumbai Masters (Mumbai), Karnataka Kings (Bangalore), Pune Vijetas (Pune) and Lucknow Warriors (Lucknow).
The names of the owners of the six franchises will be announced here on May 28.
"The preparations for the Indian Badminton League are in full swing. I`m confident the IBL Opening Ceremony will be a breathtaking extravaganza with the whole world watching it LIVE," Badminton Association of India President Akhilesh Das Gupta said.
Ashish Chadha, CEO Sporty Solutionz (P) Ltd said, "We hope to create a spectacular Opening Ceremony for badminton lovers around the world. Top international stars and Bollywood icons along with sports stars will dazzle in a never-seen before entertainment. For the first time in badminton, all the leading players of the world will be seen in action in an exciting format in the IBL that allows even arch-rivals to become team-mates."
The IBL is a joint initiative of BAI and Sporty Solutionz Pvt. Ltd, who are the commercial right holders of the League for multiple years.
• Aug 14 (New Delhi): Karnataka Kings Vs Hyderabad Hotshots; Pune Vijetas Vs Lucknow Warriors
• Aug 15 (New Delhi): Rajdhani Smashers Vs Mumbai Masters
• Aug 17 (Hyderabd): Lucknow Warriors Vs Rajdhani Smashers
• Aug 18 (Hyderabad): Hyderabad Hotshots Vs Pune Vijetas
• Aug 19 (Mumbai): Rajdhani Smashers Vs Karnataka Kings
• Aug 20 (Mumbai): Pune Vijetas Vs Mumbai Masters
• Aug 21 (Pune): Hyderabad Hotshots Vs Rajshani Smashers; Lucknow Warriors Vs Mumbai Masters
• Aug 22 (Pune): Pune Vijetas Vs Karnataka Kings
• Aug 24 (Bangalore): Hyderabad Hotshots Vs Mumbai Masters
• Aug 25 (Bangalore): Karnataka Kings Vs Lucknow Warriors
• Aug 26 (Lucknow): Rajdhani Smashers Vs Pune Vijetas; Mumbai Masters Vs Karnataka Kings
• Aug 27 (Lucknow): Hyderabad Hotshots Vs Lucknow Warriors
• Aug 29 (Hyderabad): Semi-final 1
• Aug 30 (Bangalore): Semi-final 2
• Aug 31 (Mumbai): Final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’