Iconic French rugby star Chabal the `Caveman` to retire
Iconic former French international Sebastien Chabal, popularly known as the "Caveman", announced Monday that he will retire from the sport next weekend.
The 36-year-old Chabal won 62 caps for France as a powerhouse lock and back row forward, and his last act will come on Sunday when he turns out a final time for Lyon, his current club which he has helped seal promotion from the ProD2 to the Top 14.
"On Sunday I will call a halt to my career as a rugby player and a high-level sportsman," Chabal said.
"I realise how lucky I`ve been, and to have the opportunity to call it a day with a title and finish the mission for which I came: helping Lyon win promotion."
Chabal, standing 1.91 metres (6ft 3in) tall and weighing 115 kg, became a cult figure in rugby circles with his barn-storming style of play allied with his thick black beard and flowing locks.
It allowed the forward to become one of the best paid rugby players in France thanks to lucrative commercial contracts that played on his on-field reputation and shaggy look.
Chabal played for Bourgoin (1998-2004) and English club Sale (2004-2009) before switching to Racing Metro in 2009 and then moving on to Lyon in 2012.
He played in two Six Nations-winning French sides in 2007 and 2010, and was an English Premiership winner in 2005 at Sale.
Such was Chabal`s international draw, he even made a one-game cameo for minor Australian club side Balmain against Petersham in 2012 as a curtain-raiser to a Waratahs v Reds Super Rugby game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31