In a first, Nicol David retains US Open squash title
Philadelphia: In her longest title triumph since the introduction of PAR (point-a-rally) scoring, favourite Nicol David overcame second seed Laura Massaro in the final of the Women`s Delaware Investments US Open Squash Championship at Drexel University here to become the first player in the event`s history to retain the title.
The match, the first US Open final to go the full distance in ten years, saw Malaysia`s World No.1 fight back from 2/1 down to defeat England`s World No.2 Massaro 13-11, 11-13, 7-11, 11-8, 11-5 in 84 minutes Friday.
It was an appropriate climax to the Women`s Squash Association World Series Platinum event, which - for the first time ever - was providing equal prize money to the men`s event.
For five games the pair traded blows, testing each other out with long, patient, well-crafted rallies - with unforced errors few and far between.
Barely a point separated the finalists in the first two games: Massaro reached game ball first in the opener, but David took it 13-11. From nine-all in the second, it was the Malaysian who had the first chance to get the game - but Massaro drew level after a second tie-break game.
Massaro held onto a slender lead through the third to take the lead 11-7, but was unable to capitalise on a 7-4 lead in the fourth as David took five points in a row to force the decider.
From two-all in the fifth, David moved ahead to 7-3 after some rare errors from her opponent. A winning boast for 10-5, then a ball driven into the deep that Massaro was unable to retrieve saw David leap into the air in delight.
"It feels fantastic, it means a lot to win that match and to win another US Open title," said David.
"It`s been such a journey this year; I knew Laura was playing well and I would have to dig deep. When I was down in the fourth, she maybe stepped off it a little, I just knew I had to keep going and going to the last point."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey