India bag 36 medals on 2nd day of Commonwealth Weightlifting
New Delhi: India bagged 36 medals, including 19 gold, on the second day of the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships at Penang, Malaysia on Tuesday. Besides 19 gold, India won 11 silver and six bronze today, taking into account the youth, junior and senior category competitions which are being held simultaneously.
Out of the 36 medals, senior lifters won nine -- all of them gold. Sukhen Dey and Mirabai Chanu swept all the three gold medals on offer in senior men 56kg and senior women 48kg categories.
Dey lifted 114kg in snatch and 140kg in clean and jerk for a total of 240kg. Chanu lifted 73kg in snatch and 93kg in clean and jerk for a total of 166kg. T B C Lalchhanhima and Lalu Taku swept all the three gold medals on offer in youth boys 56kg and 62kg categories respectively.
Chandrika Tarafdar and Monalisha Somowal also won all the gold medals on offer in the youth girls 44kg and junior women 48kg categories respectively. Yesterday, India had won one gold and two silver medals through Deepak Lather in youth boys 50kg.
India are being represented by 15 lifters in the senior section, 15 in junior section and 11 in youth section.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion