India bag silver, bronze medals in indoor archery world cup
Kolkata: India bagged a silver and a bronze medal in the men`s recurve section at the Indoor Archery World Cup in Singapore on Monday.
According to information received here, Asian Games silver medalist Tarundeep Rai stunned Olympic silver medalist Brady Ellison en route to a silver medal, while Atanu Das won the bronze.
Even as the win has come from an indoor event that has no challenge from the wind, it will boost the morale of the Indian men`s recurve archers who have slipped out of the top 10 ranking.
For Rai, this was his first medal since winning a silver at the World Cup Stage 2 at Antalya in May last year.
Ranked ninth in a draw of 32, Rai first defeated Hing King Ma of Hong Kong 6-0 and then got the better of Sultan Duzelbayev of Kazakhstan 6-4 to set up a last eight clash with former world number one Ellison.
But it was a one-sided affair as Rai stunned the American heavyweight 6-2 before ousting Denis Gankin of Kazakhstan with an identical score to make the final.
Frenchman Jean-Charles Valladont ended Rai`s dream run with a 6-2 win the final while the other Indian challenger Das thrashed Gankin 7-1 in the bronze play-off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Zydus Cadila gets USFDA's final nod for fungal treatment drug
- These power-packed dialogues are the soul of Salman Khan's 'Sultan' trailer!
- NIA says modus operandi same in Kathua, Samba and Pathankot terror attacks
- Govt in damage control mode after African envoys demand action against 'Afro-phobia'
- Bajrangi Dal camp row: CPI(M) questions SP govt silence, calls on President to take action