India bag silver in ACT after losing to Japan in final
New Delhi: Indian women`s hockey team had to be content with a silver medal in third Asian Champions Trophy after losing to hosts Japan by a solitary goal in the summit clash of the event at Kakamigahara, Japan on Saturday.
India conceded an early goal when Otsuka Shiho converted a penalty corner for Japan in the second minute of the match.
The Indians had a chance to equalise in the eighth minute when they earned their first penalty corner, only to waste it.
The Indian defence led by goalkeeper Savita played a superb game. Japan earned three more penalty corners in the next 10 minutes but the Indian defence stood tall to deny the home team any further opening in the first half.
Trailing 0-1, India tried hard to forge a comeback after the breather and created a few chances but the forwardline disappointed the team.
If not for custodian Savita, the margin of defeat could have bigger for India.
Japan earned another penalty corner in the 50th which was brilliantly saved by Savita to keep India in the hunt.
India fought hard till the end but failed to score the equaliser.
The Indian eves put up a impressive display in the tournament, beating higher-ranked China 4-2 and Malaysia 5-1 before losing to Japan 1-2 in the league stages.
Japan won the gold, while India and Malaysia bagged the silver and bronze medals respectively in the four-team event.
Malaysia defeated China 3-1 in the bronze-medal play-off match earlier in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city