India bag silver in ACT after losing to Japan in final
New Delhi: Indian women`s hockey team had to be content with a silver medal in third Asian Champions Trophy after losing to hosts Japan by a solitary goal in the summit clash of the event at Kakamigahara, Japan on Saturday.
India conceded an early goal when Otsuka Shiho converted a penalty corner for Japan in the second minute of the match.
The Indians had a chance to equalise in the eighth minute when they earned their first penalty corner, only to waste it.
The Indian defence led by goalkeeper Savita played a superb game. Japan earned three more penalty corners in the next 10 minutes but the Indian defence stood tall to deny the home team any further opening in the first half.
Trailing 0-1, India tried hard to forge a comeback after the breather and created a few chances but the forwardline disappointed the team.
If not for custodian Savita, the margin of defeat could have bigger for India.
Japan earned another penalty corner in the 50th which was brilliantly saved by Savita to keep India in the hunt.
India fought hard till the end but failed to score the equaliser.
The Indian eves put up a impressive display in the tournament, beating higher-ranked China 4-2 and Malaysia 5-1 before losing to Japan 1-2 in the league stages.
Japan won the gold, while India and Malaysia bagged the silver and bronze medals respectively in the four-team event.
Malaysia defeated China 3-1 in the bronze-medal play-off match earlier in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet