India bags eight gold medals at Lusofonia Games
Panaji: Goa (India) on Thursday claimed a rich-haul of eight gold medals, including five in the track and field events, at the ongoing 3rd Lusofonia Games.
With this Goa has taken its overall medal tally to 13 gold, five silver and five bronze, a massive improvement from the single gold it won in 2009 through P Anand in taekwondo.
Goa`s athletics gold medals came via Archana Susentran (women`s 100 m), Hubert D`Costa (men`s shot put), Tintu N D (women`s high jump), Shankar Dhamdhay (men`s long jump) and Chitra P U (women`s 1500 m).
The 100m final, won by Angolan Osvaldo Morais in 10.67 secs, proved disappointing for the home fans as one of its athletes, Husandeep Surinder Singh, was disqualified for false start.
The other Indian challenger, Ifran Shaikh, finished fifth in 11.07 seconds, well below his personal best of 10.94 seconds.
The silver was claimed by Cape Verde`s Danielsan Martins (10.75 secs). The bronze medal also went to Angola, whose sprinter Mauro de Sousa completed the race in 10.91 seconds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped