India bags eight gold medals at Lusofonia Games
Panaji: Goa (India) on Thursday claimed a rich-haul of eight gold medals, including five in the track and field events, at the ongoing 3rd Lusofonia Games.
With this Goa has taken its overall medal tally to 13 gold, five silver and five bronze, a massive improvement from the single gold it won in 2009 through P Anand in taekwondo.
Goa`s athletics gold medals came via Archana Susentran (women`s 100 m), Hubert D`Costa (men`s shot put), Tintu N D (women`s high jump), Shankar Dhamdhay (men`s long jump) and Chitra P U (women`s 1500 m).
The 100m final, won by Angolan Osvaldo Morais in 10.67 secs, proved disappointing for the home fans as one of its athletes, Husandeep Surinder Singh, was disqualified for false start.
The other Indian challenger, Ifran Shaikh, finished fifth in 11.07 seconds, well below his personal best of 10.94 seconds.
The silver was claimed by Cape Verde`s Danielsan Martins (10.75 secs). The bronze medal also went to Angola, whose sprinter Mauro de Sousa completed the race in 10.91 seconds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics