India beat Germany 3-0 in Chennai Open squash
Chennai: Hosts India defeated Germany 3-0 in the inaugural Chennai Open World Cup Under-21 Squash team championship on Wednesday.
Seedded fourth and led by top ranked Dipika Pallikal, India won all its three matches in straight games against the eighth seeded team in the best-of-five games in 98 minutes.
Ramit Tandon defeated German Rudi Rohrmuller 11-2, 11-5, 12-10 in 45 minutes, while Dipika took just 20 minutes to thrash Franziska Hennes 11-2, 11-4, 11-7.
With India 2-0 up in the match, India`s consultant coach and manager of the team, S Maniam decided to rest Ravi Dixit, who is ranked 193 in the world, and fielded Karan Malik in his place.
But Karan too had no difficulty in disposing off Valentin Rapp 11-8, 11-6, 11-4.
After the encounter, Maniam said he never expected his team to win the tie so easily.
"I never had any doubt about our win over Germany but I was surprised as it was easier than expected.
"We are scheduled to play top seeds Egypt tomorrow and I am yet to decide on the second player to Ravi Dixit. It will be creditable if we win even one match against the Egyptians tomorrow," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa