India beat Japan 2-1 to enter final of Women`s Jr Asia Cup
Bangkok: Indian women beat Japan 2-1 via a golden goal by vice-captain Poonam Rani to reach the final of the 6th Junior Asia Cup Championship, here on Thursday.
India will meet China in the final. China beat Korea 3-2 in the other semi-final.
It will be the first time that the Indian junior women will be playing the final of the Asia Cup after four bronze medal performances so far in the tournament that is held every four years. The win also guaranteed India an entry in the FIH Junior Women`s World Cup to be held next year.
Nine minutes into extra time, forward and vice-captain Poonam Rani scored a brilliant field goal to helped India enter the title round.
Earlier, India rallied from 0-1 down to hold Japan 1-1 at the end of regulation time. Japan had topped Group B league while India had finished second in Group A. Five minutes before the break, Japan took lead through a field goal by Yuri Nagai.
In the second half, India pressed hard and made some good penetrations in the circle. In the 49th minute, India found the equaliser through a penalty corner conversion by Vandana Katariya.
India continued to play attacking hockey in extra time and Poonam Rani`s field goal ensured India entry in the final against China on July 7.
India won the bronze medal in the fifth Junior Women`s Asia Cup in Seremban, Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends