India beat Pak 2-1, book final berth in Asian Champions Trophy
Doha: India overcame first half jitters to score a 2-1 victory over arch-rivals Pakistan in a nail-biting league match and qualify for the final of the Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament here.
Rupinder Pal Singh (36th minute) and Chinglensana (51st) struck for India while Pakistan`s lone goal came from the stick of Mohd Waqas (57th) at Al Rayyan Stadium last night.
The victory over Pakistan was India`s fourth on the trot in the six-team tournament after they had comprehensively beaten China (4-0), Japan (3-1) and Oman (11-0) respectively in their earlier round robin league matches.
India play Malaysia in their last league match tomorrow. They are on top of league table with 12 points while Pakistan and Malaysia are both on seven points after four matches each.
After a barren first half, the game came alive soon after the interval. Youngster Danish Mujtafa sprinted past a host of defenders and entered the circle but was stick-checked by Pakistan defender in front of the goal, leading to Malaysian umpire Lingam Karuppusaky signal the only penalty stroke of the match just a minute into the second session.
Rupinder Pal Singh converted it for the first goal of the hotly-fought match (1-0).
Youngster Chinglensana made use of a gem of a pass from Gurwinder Chandi to enhance the lead through a field effort in the 51st minute (2-0).
Pakistan replied through their third penalty corner. Indian goalie stopped the shot, but Mohd. Waqas collected the rebound which was shoulder high and tapped in (1-2). The Indians protested for high ball, but the umpires stood their ground.
Shortly after Pakistan reduced the margin, India suffered on account of a yellow card to vice-captain Raghunath but managed to hold on to the lead till the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks