India beat Pakistan 5-2, register 1st win in Lanco series
Perth: India defeated arch-rivals Pakistan 5-2 in an inconsequential round robin match to register their first win in the Lanco International Super Series hockey tournament here on Saturday.
India were by far the dominant side on display in the battle between the two sub-continent giants in the nine-a-side format of the game, better known as Hockey 9s.
India pumped in three goals in the first half and two after the break from the sticks of V R Raghunath (7th minute), S V Sunil (9th, 33rd), Akashdeep Singh (15th) and Manpreet Singh (29th).
Pakistan, on the other hand, scored a goal in each half through Shafqat Rasool and Muhammad Rizwan Sr.
The win will act as a morale booster for India ahead of tomorrow`s third-fourth place play-off match against the same opponents.
Meanwhile, hosts and defending champions Australia continued their winning run and demolished England 6-2 to emerge as favourites in the rematch in tomorrow`s final.
Both Australia and England had already qualified for the summit clash before coming into today`s last round robin game.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata