India beat Pakistan 5-2, register 1st win in Lanco series
Perth: India defeated arch-rivals Pakistan 5-2 in an inconsequential round robin match to register their first win in the Lanco International Super Series hockey tournament here on Saturday.
India were by far the dominant side on display in the battle between the two sub-continent giants in the nine-a-side format of the game, better known as Hockey 9s.
India pumped in three goals in the first half and two after the break from the sticks of V R Raghunath (7th minute), S V Sunil (9th, 33rd), Akashdeep Singh (15th) and Manpreet Singh (29th).
Pakistan, on the other hand, scored a goal in each half through Shafqat Rasool and Muhammad Rizwan Sr.
The win will act as a morale booster for India ahead of tomorrow`s third-fourth place play-off match against the same opponents.
Meanwhile, hosts and defending champions Australia continued their winning run and demolished England 6-2 to emerge as favourites in the rematch in tomorrow`s final.
Both Australia and England had already qualified for the summit clash before coming into today`s last round robin game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'