India begin SAG campaign on mixed note
Dhaka: Regional behemoth India`s 11th South
Asian Games campaign got off to a bitter-sweet start today
with their women football team whipping Sri Lanka here but
their men`s squad went down to Afghanistan in Chittagong.
The women`s team rode on Moriangthem`s hat-trick to pound
Sri Lanka 8-1 at the Bir Shrestha Mostafa Kamal Stadium here
but their male counterparts went down 0-1 to Afghanistan at
the M A Aziz Stadium in Chittagong.
Competition was held only in football discipline today.
The match between the Indian eves and their Sri Lankan
counterparts was a lop-sided affair with Moriangthem striking
in the ninth, 56th and 59th minutes.
Among her teammates, Naoba Chaun scored back-to-back
goals in the 82nd and 83rd minutes, while Sasmita (45th),
Yumnam (51st) and Pinky Bompal (90+1) completed the rout.
Sri Lanka reduced the margin through Pushpa Ekanayaka in
the 74th minute.
Indian men`s team, however, began their campaign with a
defeat with Belal Arezou scoring the winner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP