India book two berths in archery for Nanjing Youth Olympics
New Delhi: Indian archers booked two berths for the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games based on their tremendous performances in the qualification tournament in the ongoing Youth World Championship at Wuxi (China).
The two Indians booked a place each in the men`s and women`s categories.
India is among eight countries to have earned full quota places for the Youth Olympic Games, besides hosts China. Seventeen places in men and women`s categories each were allotted to nations across the world.
The Games` qualifying tournament offered a maximum of two places, one each in men`s and women`s section to each country.
Sulekha Singh was among the top 16 who got direct quota place in recurve women`s category.
Indian men -- Ranjit Naik and Atul Verma -- fought for a quota place before finally booking one.
Rajat Chouhan will fight for Junior Compound champion`s title against Hensen Stephan of Denmark tomorrow. Stephan had earlier defeated India`s Jignas Chittibomma in the semifinals.
Rajat showed brilliant consistency throughout the event and won all his matches. He defeated Scarceria UX Baptiste of Belgium (148 Vs 142) in the semifinals after beating Cardoso Mario of Mexico in the quarters (145 Vs 143).
In mixed compound junior event, Jignas and Jyoti Surekha will fight against Belgians in the bronze medal match.
Compound junior men trio -- Rajat Chauhan, Jignas Chittibomma and Sudhakar Kumar Paswan -- will face challenge from Great Britain in the bronze medal play-off match.
Compound junior women trio -- Jyoti Surekha, Jayalakshmi Sarikonoda and Swati Dudhwal -- will fight against Mexico for bronze.
There will be another clash between Indian side comprising Ranjit Naik, Atul Verma, Binod Swansi against a Mexican unit for the bronze in the Recurve Cadet team event.
All Compound final matches will be staged tomorrow, while October 20 is reserved for all Recurve finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?