India book two berths in archery for Nanjing Youth Olympics
New Delhi: Indian archers booked two berths for the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games based on their tremendous performances in the qualification tournament in the ongoing Youth World Championship at Wuxi (China).
The two Indians booked a place each in the men`s and women`s categories.
India is among eight countries to have earned full quota places for the Youth Olympic Games, besides hosts China. Seventeen places in men and women`s categories each were allotted to nations across the world.
The Games` qualifying tournament offered a maximum of two places, one each in men`s and women`s section to each country.
Sulekha Singh was among the top 16 who got direct quota place in recurve women`s category.
Indian men -- Ranjit Naik and Atul Verma -- fought for a quota place before finally booking one.
Rajat Chouhan will fight for Junior Compound champion`s title against Hensen Stephan of Denmark tomorrow. Stephan had earlier defeated India`s Jignas Chittibomma in the semifinals.
Rajat showed brilliant consistency throughout the event and won all his matches. He defeated Scarceria UX Baptiste of Belgium (148 Vs 142) in the semifinals after beating Cardoso Mario of Mexico in the quarters (145 Vs 143).
In mixed compound junior event, Jignas and Jyoti Surekha will fight against Belgians in the bronze medal match.
Compound junior men trio -- Rajat Chauhan, Jignas Chittibomma and Sudhakar Kumar Paswan -- will face challenge from Great Britain in the bronze medal play-off match.
Compound junior women trio -- Jyoti Surekha, Jayalakshmi Sarikonoda and Swati Dudhwal -- will fight against Mexico for bronze.
There will be another clash between Indian side comprising Ranjit Naik, Atul Verma, Binod Swansi against a Mexican unit for the bronze in the Recurve Cadet team event.
All Compound final matches will be staged tomorrow, while October 20 is reserved for all Recurve finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read