India clinch women`s Kabaddi World Cup championship
Patna: India clinched the first women`s Kabaddi World Cup championship title, defeating Iran 25-19 in the final played at Patlipura sports complex at Kankerbagh on Sunday.
In a thrilling encounter, the Indian eves held upper hand throughout the match and led their Iranian counterparts 19-11 at the half time.
Cheered lustily by the fans at the jam-packed stadium, the Indian women held out a strong challenge by the Iranian in the second half, on course to a resounding win.
Earlier in the day, India outclassed Japan 60-21 while Iran defeated Thailand 46-26 in the two semifinals to set up a summit clash.
Before the semifinals got underway, a clash broke out between a section of spectators and police outside the stadium after some people carrying invitation cards were denied entry into the stadium.
The protesters pelted stones at the policemen who then resorted to batoncharge.
After the final, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi gave away the trophy to India captain Mamata Pujari and medals to all members of the winning team.
Cinestar-turned-politician, Shatrughan Sinha, MP from Patalipura, handed over the runners-up trophy and silver medals to Iran, while state Education Minister P K Shahi and the International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) President Janardan Singh Gehlot gave away bronze medals to Thailand and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- With 31% jump, HDFC's Aditya Puri top gainer in salary hike among private bank chiefs
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why