India clinch women`s Kabaddi World Cup championship
Patna: India clinched the first women`s Kabaddi World Cup championship title, defeating Iran 25-19 in the final played at Patlipura sports complex at Kankerbagh on Sunday.
In a thrilling encounter, the Indian eves held upper hand throughout the match and led their Iranian counterparts 19-11 at the half time.
Cheered lustily by the fans at the jam-packed stadium, the Indian women held out a strong challenge by the Iranian in the second half, on course to a resounding win.
Earlier in the day, India outclassed Japan 60-21 while Iran defeated Thailand 46-26 in the two semifinals to set up a summit clash.
Before the semifinals got underway, a clash broke out between a section of spectators and police outside the stadium after some people carrying invitation cards were denied entry into the stadium.
The protesters pelted stones at the policemen who then resorted to batoncharge.
After the final, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi gave away the trophy to India captain Mamata Pujari and medals to all members of the winning team.
Cinestar-turned-politician, Shatrughan Sinha, MP from Patalipura, handed over the runners-up trophy and silver medals to Iran, while state Education Minister P K Shahi and the International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) President Janardan Singh Gehlot gave away bronze medals to Thailand and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details