India crash out of Women`s World Team Squash
New Delhi: The Indian challenge in the WSF Women`s World Team Squash Championship came to an end today as Dipika Pallikal and Joshana Chinappa lost their respective quarterfinal matches to Egyptian rivals in Nimes, France.
It wasn`t a walk in the park, but nevertheless it took second seeds Egypt just six games to end the Indian run as wins from Raneem El Weleily and Nour El Sherbini took the 2008 champions into the semifinals of the biennial World Squash Federation event taking place in France for the first time.
Pallikal went down to Weleily 14-16 4-11 7-11 in a marathon battle while Chinappa lost to Sherbini 7-11 6-11 9-11 at the La Parnasse Arena.
The third and final game between Nour El Tayeb and Anaka Alankamony was rendered inconsequential.
India had yesterday created history by booking their maiden quarterfinal berth in the Championship after an upset 2-1 victory over eighth seeds, The Netherlands.
India, who had upset seventh seeds Ireland in their tournament opener before clinching pole position in Pool G with an impressive 3-0 win over Argentina, were taking part in the biennial tournament for the third time only.
They had finished 18th in their debut in 2002 and 11th last year.
The event boasts of a record entry of 26 nations and is being staged simultaneously at both the eight-court Club des Costieres and La Parnasse Arena where, for the first time ever, action is taking place on three all-glass show courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price