India defeat Korea to win gold medal in archery WC
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: Indian women recurve archery team of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Rimil Buriuly has won the gold medal in the World Cup in Wroclaw. It’s their second successive gold after Medellin meet.
Indian team defeated the top seeded Koreans to win the medal.
In the finals, Indian team earned 219 points overall, four points more than the Koreans who managed to score 215.
At one point of time the match was evenly poised as both the teams tied at 163-163 by end three. Windy conditions also forced the archers to change their strategy.
It’s a big achievement for the Indian team as in the finals they got the better of Yun Ok-Hee, Ki Bo Bae, and Joo Hyun Jung, who had never scored lower than 222 points in the tournament with convincing victories over the United States, Italy and Russia to storm into the final.
This Indian pair of Bombayala, Deepika and Rimil had also won the World Cup Stage 3 in Medellin, Colombia last month.
The Danish women won the bronze medal by defeating the much stronger team of Russia by 210-194.
The World Cup Finals will be take place in Paris next month.
In the sigles event too Deepika Kumari finished inside top seven to qualify for the World Cup Finals to be held on September 21 and 22.
Deepika thus qualified for the Finals for second year in a row. In her maiden appearance in Tokyo last year, Deepika had returned with a silver.
Based on their rankings after four stages of the World Cup, top seven archers in men's and women's sections make the cut for the Finals, while the hosts country (France) get a quota berth.
Dola Banerjee is the only Indian to have won a gold in the World Finals (in 2007).
With inputs PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe