India defeat Pakistan to enter Asian Champions Trophy final
Doha: India overcame first half jitters to score a 2-1 victory over arch-rivals Pakistan in a nail-biting league match and qualify for the final of the Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament here.
Rupinder Pal Singh (36th minute) and Chinglensana (51st) struck for India while Pakistan's lone goal came from the stick of Mohd Waqas (57th) at Al Rayyan Stadium last night.
The victory over Pakistan was India's fourth on the trot in the six-team tournament after they had comprehensively beaten China (4-0), Japan (3-1) and Oman (11-0) respectively in their earlier round robin league matches.
India play Malaysia in their last league match tomorrow. They are on top of league table with 12 points while Pakistan and Malaysia are both on seven points after four matches each.
After a barren first half, the game came alive soon after the interval. Youngster Danish Mujtafa sprinted past a host of defenders and entered the circle but was stick-checked by Pakistan defender in front of the goal, leading to Malaysian umpire Lingam Karuppusaky signal the only penalty stroke of the match just a minute into the second session.
Rupinder Pal Singh converted it for the first goal of the hotly-fought match (1-0).
Youngster Chinglensana made use of a gem of a pass from Gurwinder Chandi to enhance the lead through a field effort in the 51st minute (2-0).
Pakistan replied through their third penalty corner. Indian goalie stopped the shot, but Mohd. Waqas collected the rebound which was shoulder high and tapped in (1-2). The Indians protested for high ball, but the umpires stood their ground.
Shortly after Pakistan reduced the margin, India suffered on account of a yellow card to vice-captain Raghunath but managed to hold on to the lead till the end.
Pakistan did not give up, and even got a penalty corner at the hooter time, but Indian defence stood to their task.
Indian upfront were found wanting on many occasions and they wasted all the four penalty corners they obtained.
Pakistan held upper hand in the first quarter but individual game spoilt their show.
India just created one chance in the first quarter when young Chinglensana hit from the left flank for a deflection in the circle. However, Pradhan Somanna applied the stick only to see the ball rise and sail high above the goal cage.
Three minutes later, India attacked ferociously but in vain. Gurwinder Chandi received a long pass from defender VR Raghunath on the left flank. He dodged past two players and set up Nitin Thimmaiah who, however, failed to trap the ball near the backline.
India got a chance to go up in the 27th minute, but poor penalty corner drill let India down. The ball could not be stopped properly, still Rupinder Pal took a shot but misdirected it.
India's winger Sunil almost scored a goal on the run, but Rashid Mohd came in the nick of time to make a goal-line save.
The game had to be stopped just before half time when Rupinder Pal's stick hit Shafqat Rasool and the Pakistani was seen writhing in pain on the turf.
Early in the second half, Pakistan got two penalty corners. Defender Raghunath blocked the first one while Mohd. Irfan shot wide in the second.
Mercurial forward Shakeel Abbasi missed a sitter in the 48th minute when he lost control inside the Indian circle even as he was all alone in his extremely delightful solo.
He also let another chance go in the 62nd minute when Pakistan was trailing 1-2.
Pakistan pressed hard in the last five minutes, but India saw off their attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in