India draw 3-3 with Malaysia in Sultan of Johor Cup
Johor Bahru (Malaysia): India wasted a two-goal advantage to draw 3-3 against hosts Malaysia in their last inconsequential round-robin match of The Sultan of Johor Cup Under-21 hockey tournament, here on Saturday.
With this match, India finished on top of the standings but the result of the tie was merely of academic interest as both India and Malaysia have already qualified for tomorrow`s summit clash ahead of today`s game.
Both India and Malaysia finished with 13 points and were unbeaten in the round robin stages but the Indians managed the top position on account of a better goal difference.
With their final spots already sealed, both the teams lacked urgency and did not go all out in the match.
The Indians dominated the early exchanges and took the lead in the 10th minute when Satbir Sing slammed in from a rebound after Amit Rohidass` initial attempt from a penalty corner was blocked by Malaysian goalkeeper Mohd Hazrul Ahmad Sobri.
Malaysia earned a penalty corner in the 25th minute but wasted the opportunity as they failed to stop the push.
India doubled their lead in the 33rd minute through Ramandeep Singh who scored from an acute angle from the right to notch up his sixth goal in the tournament.
India, however, did not look impressive at the change of ends as they seemed contended with the two goal lead.
Malaysia were the better side on display in the second half as they created more scoring opportunities but goals eluded them till the last 10 minutes of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion