India draw 3-3 with Malaysia in Sultan of Johor Cup
Johor Bahru (Malaysia): India wasted a two-goal advantage to draw 3-3 against hosts Malaysia in their last inconsequential round-robin match of The Sultan of Johor Cup Under-21 hockey tournament, here on Saturday.
With this match, India finished on top of the standings but the result of the tie was merely of academic interest as both India and Malaysia have already qualified for tomorrow`s summit clash ahead of today`s game.
Both India and Malaysia finished with 13 points and were unbeaten in the round robin stages but the Indians managed the top position on account of a better goal difference.
With their final spots already sealed, both the teams lacked urgency and did not go all out in the match.
The Indians dominated the early exchanges and took the lead in the 10th minute when Satbir Sing slammed in from a rebound after Amit Rohidass` initial attempt from a penalty corner was blocked by Malaysian goalkeeper Mohd Hazrul Ahmad Sobri.
Malaysia earned a penalty corner in the 25th minute but wasted the opportunity as they failed to stop the push.
India doubled their lead in the 33rd minute through Ramandeep Singh who scored from an acute angle from the right to notch up his sixth goal in the tournament.
India, however, did not look impressive at the change of ends as they seemed contended with the two goal lead.
Malaysia were the better side on display in the second half as they created more scoring opportunities but goals eluded them till the last 10 minutes of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray