India draw 3-3 with Malaysia in Sultan of Johor Cup
Johor Bahru (Malaysia): India wasted a two-goal advantage to draw 3-3 against hosts Malaysia in their last inconsequential round-robin match of The Sultan of Johor Cup Under-21 hockey tournament, here on Saturday.
With this match, India finished on top of the standings but the result of the tie was merely of academic interest as both India and Malaysia have already qualified for tomorrow`s summit clash ahead of today`s game.
Both India and Malaysia finished with 13 points and were unbeaten in the round robin stages but the Indians managed the top position on account of a better goal difference.
With their final spots already sealed, both the teams lacked urgency and did not go all out in the match.
The Indians dominated the early exchanges and took the lead in the 10th minute when Satbir Sing slammed in from a rebound after Amit Rohidass` initial attempt from a penalty corner was blocked by Malaysian goalkeeper Mohd Hazrul Ahmad Sobri.
Malaysia earned a penalty corner in the 25th minute but wasted the opportunity as they failed to stop the push.
India doubled their lead in the 33rd minute through Ramandeep Singh who scored from an acute angle from the right to notch up his sixth goal in the tournament.
India, however, did not look impressive at the change of ends as they seemed contended with the two goal lead.
Malaysia were the better side on display in the second half as they created more scoring opportunities but goals eluded them till the last 10 minutes of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi