India enter quarterfinal after Chinese Taipei beat Thailand
New Delhi: India on Tuesday created history by advancing to the quarterfinals of the Sudirman Cup badminton tournament after Chinese Taipei defeated Thailand 3-2 in the last group C tie of the mixed team competition in Qingdao, China on Tuesday.
India lost their opener against Chinese Taipei 2-3 but bounced back in the second group C match yesterday, beating Thailand 3-2 but their fate still depended on the result of the match between Chinese Taipei and Thailand.
But Thailand`s defeat today paved the way for India to enter the knockout stage of the prestigious tournament for the first time since its inception in 1989.
"We are very happy. It is a great effort by the entire team and a momentus occasion for us. I will give our best in the quarterfinals," said P Kashyap, who engineered India`s dramatic turnaround against Thailand on Monday by beating world number six Boonsak Ponsana.
The draw for the knockout stage of the competition shall be done immediately after the last match of the group playoff. India play their knockout match on Thursday.
Chinese taipei rode on their strength in doubles section as they swept all the three -- men`s, women`s and mixed -- events to notch up their second victory and top group C of level 1.
Hung Ling Chen and Wen Hsing Cheng gave Chinese Taipei a head start by beating Maneepong Jongjit and Savitree Amitrapai 21-9 21-10 in the mixed doubles category.
But Thailand`s Boonsak thrashed Tien Chen Chou 21-15 21-15 in a 39-minute clash at the Qindao Sports Centre Gymansium to draw parity.
Locked 1-1, Thailand once again scored through their men`s doubles pair of Sheng Mu Lee and Chieh Min Fang when they saw off Songphon Anugritayawon and Bodin Issara 21-12 21-18 in a 26-minute match.
But Thailand fought back with the help of world number 18 Ratchanok Inthanon, who beat Shao Chieh Cheng 21-9 21-17 in just 29 minutes to make it 2-2.
But Chinese taipei`s women`s doubles pair of Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien was in no mood to relent as they wrapped up the tie with a 21-13 21-12 thrashing of Saralee Thoungthongkam and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul in the final
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre