India eves complete series whitewash over Azerbaijan
New Delhi: Indian women`s hockey team completed a clean sweep in their four-Test series against Azerbaijan after notching up a 2-0 victory in the fourth and final match on Thursday.
The Indian women were not at their best but still prevailed over the visitors after they scored twice in the second half through Jaspreet Kaur (44th minute) and Rani Rampaul (68th).
With this victory, India kept their slate clean after having defeated the visitors with margins of 3-0, 2-1 and 3-0 in the first three Tests at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here.
After playing out a goalless first half, Jaspreet, who missed the third Test due to back pain, put India ahead, scoring on a penalty shot which the home team earned after Rani Rampaul`s shot hit a defender near the goal mouth.
Rani, who had injured her hand and missed the last match, was once again in action in the dying moments of the Test when she deflected in a diagonal cross from skipper Asunta Lakra from the right to seal the match 2-0.
Azerbaijan had their moments and had, in fact, earned their first penalty corner as early as the ninth minute but they couldn`t make it count.
Towards the end of the first half, India too had earned a penalty corner, but Lakra was too late to react. On a counter attack, the visitors too earned a chance to score from a set piece, only to squander the opportunity.
Few minutes after the first goal, India had earned another chance, but failed to capitalise with Jaspreet hitting wide of the goalpost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’