India finish poor ninth in Archery World Cup
Kolkata: Fancied recurve archers including world No 3 Deepika Kumari returned empty-handed as India finished a poor ninth in the World Cup Stage II that concluded in Antalya, Turkey on Sunday.
According to information received here, India with a solitary silver medal in the mixed team event of the compound section finished ninth along with Austria in the medal standings.
Korea reigned supreme with seven medals including three gold and three silver, while China (2-0-2) and Denmark (2-0-1) finished second and third respectively.
Rajat Chouhan and Manjudha Soy had yesterday earned the lone silver medal as Indian heavyweight archers including Jayanta Talukdar and Deepika Kumari made early exits.
Powered by Deepika`s two silver medal effort along with a bronze in compound, India had a creditable fourth place finish at the World Cup Stage I in Shanghai last month.
But the World No 3 had a pathetic 33rd place finish in the individual section, while in the team event they finished fifth as it hurt India`s cause in the second major international tournament of this season.
India`s best bet in the men`s recurve, Talukdar, who bagged the mixed silver along with Deepika in Shanghai World Cup, was no better finishing an identical 33rd in the individual section while the team finished ninth.
It will be a reality check for the Korean coach Lim Chae Woong, who returned to the national side after many years.
But the silver lining was national champion Chouhan`s splendid effort with Manjudha as the archers kept improving in the compound section, having improved their bronze medal feat of Shanghai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday