India go down 2-3 to South Korea in Azlan Shah campaign opener

Ipoh: India paid the price of a listless show in defence as they squandered a two-goal advantage and went down 2-3 to South Korea to begin their Azlan Shah campaign on a losing note.

The double defending champions were leading 2-0 till the 31st minute when the South Koreans, the joint champions with India last year, pierced open the Indian defence with their brisk pace to begin the fightback before pumping in three goals.

India, outright winners of the Azlan Shah Cup in 2009 and joint champions in 2010, failed to match the speed of the young Korean side, who at one stage were reduced to nine players after the referee flashed green cards to two players following their vehement protest, resulting to their temporary suspension.

It was South Korea who forced an early penalty corner in the eighth minute but Hong Eun-Song shot wide.

India took the lead in the 20th minute from their first penalty corner with Diwakar Ram sounding the board with a powerful grounder after Dhananjay Mahadik squared the ball to him.

Three minutes later, the Koreans got another penalty corner and a mid-field ruckus followed after umpire Martin Madden signalled that Hong Eun-Song`s shot had gone wide to the right.

The Koreans protested strongly, arguing that the ball had gone through the goal netting and play was held up as two Korean players -- captain Lee Seoul-Il and Jang Jong-Hyun -- shown green cards and sent to the sidelines. Play resumed five minutes later after the jury affirmed the umpire`s decision.

With South Korea down to nine players, the Indian strikers had plenty of gaps in opposition defence but they failed to capitalise on that.

S V Sunil missed a sitter by failing to trap Shivendra Singh`s pass across the goalmouth in the 25th minute, but Danish Mujtaba increased India`s lead with a stringing reverse drive from top of the circle in the 27th minute.

The Koreans waged a gallant fightback, dominating the midfield and got their first goal in the 31st minute through Cho Suk-Hoon after he broke down the right flank. The Indian defence grimly held on as South Korea forced two penalty corners in the last three minutes before half-time.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link