India hockey eves beat Ireland 2-1, pocket series
New Delhi: The Indian women`s hockey team continued their impressive show and defeated Ireland 2-1 in a keenly-contested second Test to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series in Dublin.
India had earlier defeated Ireland 3-1 in the first Test of the tour, orgainsed as part of the team`s preparation for the FIH Champions Challenge 1 beginning April 27 in Glasgow, Scotland.
In the second Test yesterday, the Indian eves opened the account in the 18th minute when Soundarya Yendala converted a penalty corner.
India doubled the lead two minutes later through Sunita`s (20th) field goal.
But Ireland pulled one back just at the stroke of half time through Nicola Evans` field effort.
India were the dominant side on display in the first half while Ireland played catch-up hockey.
After the change of ends, both India and Ireland fought hard and concentrated on tightening its defense to prevent any further damage.
The final game of the series will be played later tonight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'