India hockey eves beat Ireland 2-1, pocket series
New Delhi: The Indian women`s hockey team continued their impressive show and defeated Ireland 2-1 in a keenly-contested second Test to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series in Dublin.
India had earlier defeated Ireland 3-1 in the first Test of the tour, orgainsed as part of the team`s preparation for the FIH Champions Challenge 1 beginning April 27 in Glasgow, Scotland.
In the second Test yesterday, the Indian eves opened the account in the 18th minute when Soundarya Yendala converted a penalty corner.
India doubled the lead two minutes later through Sunita`s (20th) field goal.
But Ireland pulled one back just at the stroke of half time through Nicola Evans` field effort.
India were the dominant side on display in the first half while Ireland played catch-up hockey.
After the change of ends, both India and Ireland fought hard and concentrated on tightening its defense to prevent any further damage.
The final game of the series will be played later tonight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand