India hockey eves beat Ireland 2-1, pocket series
New Delhi: The Indian women`s hockey team continued their impressive show and defeated Ireland 2-1 in a keenly-contested second Test to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series in Dublin.
India had earlier defeated Ireland 3-1 in the first Test of the tour, orgainsed as part of the team`s preparation for the FIH Champions Challenge 1 beginning April 27 in Glasgow, Scotland.
In the second Test yesterday, the Indian eves opened the account in the 18th minute when Soundarya Yendala converted a penalty corner.
India doubled the lead two minutes later through Sunita`s (20th) field goal.
But Ireland pulled one back just at the stroke of half time through Nicola Evans` field effort.
India were the dominant side on display in the first half while Ireland played catch-up hockey.
After the change of ends, both India and Ireland fought hard and concentrated on tightening its defense to prevent any further damage.
The final game of the series will be played later tonight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family