India in race to host World Cup TT
New Delhi: India is in line to host the World Table Tennis Team Cup in 2015. Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) secretary general Dhanraj Choudhary said that the sport`s governing body ITTF has shortlisted India to stage the prestigious event, considered second only to the World Championships.
"ITTF were impressed with the way we hosted the World Junior Championships (in Hyderabad) last year. They now have picked India as the probable host for the 2015 World Team Cup," said Choudhary, who was nominated as one of the 32 ITTF Board of Directors at the Paris World Championships earlier in the month.
India has never hosted the mega event introduced in 1980. The individual World Cup for men and women takes place on even years while the Team Cup happens on odd-years. The host country gets automatic qualification.
Choudhary feels India is growing as a table tennis nation and the timing was right to host global events regularly.
"The organisation of World Cups is a lot easier in comparison to World Championships. There are two more countries in the race but we should be able to bag the rights. As the host country, our players will get the opportunity to play in the event for the first time," he said.
Players from around 130 countries took part in the Paris World Championships while 12 teams in either category compete in World Cup.
While the individual World Cup took place first in 1980, the team competition was introduced a decade later. The Team Cup was cancelled in 1995 before it returned on the ITTF calendar in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack