India in race to host World Cup TT
New Delhi: India is in line to host the World Table Tennis Team Cup in 2015. Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) secretary general Dhanraj Choudhary said that the sport`s governing body ITTF has shortlisted India to stage the prestigious event, considered second only to the World Championships.
"ITTF were impressed with the way we hosted the World Junior Championships (in Hyderabad) last year. They now have picked India as the probable host for the 2015 World Team Cup," said Choudhary, who was nominated as one of the 32 ITTF Board of Directors at the Paris World Championships earlier in the month.
India has never hosted the mega event introduced in 1980. The individual World Cup for men and women takes place on even years while the Team Cup happens on odd-years. The host country gets automatic qualification.
Choudhary feels India is growing as a table tennis nation and the timing was right to host global events regularly.
"The organisation of World Cups is a lot easier in comparison to World Championships. There are two more countries in the race but we should be able to bag the rights. As the host country, our players will get the opportunity to play in the event for the first time," he said.
Players from around 130 countries took part in the Paris World Championships while 12 teams in either category compete in World Cup.
While the individual World Cup took place first in 1980, the team competition was introduced a decade later. The Team Cup was cancelled in 1995 before it returned on the ITTF calendar in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath