India lose to Indonesia in Sudirman Cup
Kuala Lumpur: India failed to make the quarterfinals of the Sudirman Cup mixed team badminton championship after suffering a 1-4 thrashing at the hands of Indonesia in their second group match here on Monday.
Parupalli Kashyap was the lone Indian who could offer some solace by registering a 21-18, 21-14 victory over Rumbaka Dionysius Hayom in the men`s singles category, even as P V Sindhu along with other Indians were outclassed by the Indonesians at the Putra Stadium.
India had already lost two ties before World number 11 Kashyap managed to prevail over a lower ranked opponent in a 44-minute battle.
The Group A match began with the men`s doubles contest, which Akshay Dewalkar and Pranaav Chopra lost in straight games 13-21, 10-21 to the pair of Angga Pratama and Rian Agung Saputra in just 24 minutes.
In the second tie, World number 13 Sindhu failed to live up to the expectations as she went down tamely to Fanetri Lindaweni, ranked 15th, 15-21, 10-21 in women`s singles.
Without Saina Nehwal, there was a lot of pressure on the 17-year-old Sindhu, who on Sunday gave a tough fight to world number three Wang Yihan.
But on Monday she failed to show the same spirit and surrendered without a fight in a 36-minute contest.
The women`s doubles pair of Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre also lost 19-21, 20-22 to Greysia Polii and Nitya Krishinda Maheswari in 37 minutes.
In the mixed doubles category, the combo of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan were outplayed by Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir 13-21, 14-21 in 29 minutes.
Saina did not take part in the tournament as she is nursing a hairline fracture in her toe, while doubles player Jwala Gutta pulled out for not finding a suitable partner.
India had earlier lost 0-5 to China in their opening Group A match on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch